Search This Blog

Thursday 18 April 2013

Birchbox April 2013

Yesterday I received my first ever Birchbox, I have signed up to receive boxes and if I like them I will subscribe and if not I will walk away and stick with Glossybox (which has been great recently). 

First off apologies for the not great photos, I took them late last night in bad light as I wanted to blog today about the box but hopefully they are good enough for you to see what the items look like!


The first item is a soap by La Societe Parisienne De Savons, its full size and retails at £8.50 but I am unsure where you can buy this in the UK.  It smells fresh and pleasant but I don't really like using soaps, I find them a bit drying and prefer liquid soaps and body washes.  I will either put this in the bathroom for guests or give it away.



The second item is Weleda Skin Food (10ml sample size).  Its an intense moisturiser that would be good for heels, elbows and indeed any dry skin.  I have used Weleda body washes before and wasn't overly impressed but I will give this a go on my elbows and give it a chance.



The third item was sample of Gerda Spillmann Renaissance Age Serum.  I hadn't heard of this brand but after looking on the Birchbox website have found its a Swiss brand and is quite pricey so I will give this a shot at some point.



The fourth item is Natio Renew Radiance Foam Cleanser (20ml sample size).  I have walked past the Natio stand in Debenhams many times but have to say I've not taken much notice of it!  So I was open minded when I got this cleanser.  However I have read the description and its "lightly perfumed" and I am currently wedded to my Dermalogica cleanser which is working well for me so this item has already gone on Ebay!



The fifth item is the Mirenesse Glossy Kiss in the colour First Kiss and this was the item I was most intrigued by when I opened the Birchbox and when I first looked at it I thought the colour looked nice, it was a reddy pink.  However I looked online and saw swatches and then wasn't so keen - it has a small amount of sparkle in and I just didn't like that effect and I know I would probably wear it once and then go back to my other products (I love Lipstick Queen and Jelly Pong Pong lip crayons) so this too has been put on Ebay!



The final bonus item is a small mirror which would be handy for your handbag.....except that I got a small mirror in a Glossybox a few months back and use that.....ah well I can keep this one in my desk at work, I am sure it will come in handy at some point.



You might be able to tell that I am a bit underwhelmed by my first Birchbox.  With beauty subscription boxes I know thats its the nature of the beast that some months will be like that so I am hopeful that I will be more excited by next month's box!  Plus I have still yet to test some of the items above - who knows - I may love them!

A small magazine is enclosed and I have to say I wish that Birchbox didn't both with the mag, I only flicked through it quickly but I did notice that have articles about products that aren't even in the box - I don't see the point.  I think its fine to include a small postcard stating whats in the box and how to use it but I don't think a magazine is needed.  Instead of focusing on creating a magazine they should focus on getting the samples right! 

I would love to know if you got the same items as me and also what the think about the magazine?

No comments:

Post a Comment