Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Review: BaByliss Curl Secret Styler

Over the last few months I have been reading online about the BaByliss Pro Perfect Curl, it looked like an incredible tool for curling the hair - it literally would suck a strand of hair into the barrel and "hey presto" curly hair!  I really wanted the Pro Perfect Curl but there were two obstacles, firstly the price - it was retailing at approximately £170 depending on where you bought it from, Ouch!  The second was it was selling out everywhere so even if I had decided to go for it, I wouldn't have been able to find anywhere stocking it!

I sat back and hoped that it would become more widely available (and cheaper!) in time and last month I read that BaByliss were bring out a consumer version!!  Cue major excitment from me!  The only differences I have been told between the two products are that the consumer version is lighter, has two heat settings as opposed to three and automatically alternates the curl direction.  So, if anything it is more user friendly I think.

It is priced at £119.99 and last week I ordered it online......I had to wait a whole weekend for it to be delivered but yesterday it finally arrived!

Please excuse the photos, I took them late last night when the sky had gone black before a thunderstorm so the light at home was really bad!  I was going to take new photos later but decided I couldn't wait to share my thoughts with you (I am like an overexcited child about this product!)



I should have said that this version is called Curl Secret!



 Above is some information that is printed on the box. 

And here it is, in all its glory:



I had to have a little go of this last night even though I was only going to bed afterwards!  I was really impressed by how easy it was to use, the main thing to remember are to keep one side of the Curl Secret facing your head (its easy to remember which side as they have written on it to remind you).  Apart from that you choose your heat and time settings from those below:

• Setting 8 (8 seconds = 3 beeps) - for loose waves
• Setting 10 (10 seconds = 4 beeps) - for soft curls
• Setting 12 (12 seconds = 5 beeps) - for more defined curls

There are two heat settings and if your hair is fine and/or coloured you would use the cooler setting and if your hair is thick or coarse you would use the hotter setting.

I took small sections of my hair, probably no bigger than 3cm in width and made sure it was a nice neat section so there was no tangling and then I clamped the barrel about half way down my hair (you just clamp it where you want the curl to begin), once the barrel closes, the hair disappears and then I waited for the four beeps.  After the fourth beep I would release and that piece of hair was curly!  I used the lower heat setting and Setting 8 and I would say that I got a soft curl. 

After using this for a while I found the plastic surrounding where the hair is curled gets quite hot (I didn't think it would) but BaByliss do supply a heat mat which I will definitely make use of.



The thing that surprised me most was that the styler looks quite large in a lot of photo and even in video footage I've seen but when I took it out of the box I thought it seemed really small and I also find it quite light.  I took a photo of me holding it so you can see what I mean:


Lastly I know this shouldn't matter but I like the colour too!!

When I style my hair properly with this I will take a before and after photo so you can see the results.  My first impressions are all good, it seems really easy to use, I felt like I was getting the hang of it after just five minutes playing around with it yesterday.  I am hopefully that after a couple more goes I will be really getting the hang of it.  My mind goes back to when I first got BaByliss Big Hair and I got into a bit of a mess the first time I used that but now I could use it with my eyes closed so I am hoping it will be similar with Curl Secret.

Please let me know if any of you have bought this or are thinking of treating yourself!

Curl Secret cost me £119.99 at Boots.com


7 comments:

  1. I saw one of these in Boots today and they'd used one of those plastic dummy heads to model it! Omg wow! I walked past with my eyes glued and since the model had short hair and looked fab I kow I have have HAVE to have it!! Is it as good as you thought it would be? Xx

    www.tangomiss.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, it really is amazing isn't it, I love watching the hair get sucked into the barrel and then come out curly - magic!

      It is as good as I thought it would be and I really like the loose curl I get with this (I use the 10 second setting) My hair is shoulder length and it works really well. Do let me know if you buy it and what you think xx

      Delete
  2. Hi I just bought the pro version from Sally's, but may take it back and get this version from boots, 1 because is £30 cheaper and 2 I have £40.00 on my boots card!! Does anyone have opinions or working knowledge between the 2. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Landra, I am afraid I unable to help you decide which is the better model as I have no experience of the pro version. From reviews I have gathered that the version from Boots is more user friendly.

      I could be wrong here but I don't think you are able to use Boots Advantage points as part payment (very annoying I know!) xx

      Delete
  3. I've got the Babyliss Pro Curler and have been using it for months - honestly, the best thing i've ever bought. Well worth the money! I can curl my full head of hair in 10 minutes and it looks so natural. I bought mine from:
    http://www.sallyexpress.com/babyliss-pro-perfect-curl/?gclid=CKO-i6flvroCFXCWtAodoDYAmA
    As it was the cheapest i could find it in stock. But if there's a now a consumer version - go for that as I only really use one setting on mine anyway and always automate the curl direction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought babyliss pro on "thenac.co.UK". Don't buy it on this web site, the product come from Hong Kong. It's a fake. I received it without babyliss garanty ans without cleaning tool. No différence between the température, too cold I suffered serious breakage after using this product !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the last few months I have been reading online about the BaByliss Pro Perfect Curl, it looked like an incredible tool for curling the hair - it ... cbabylisspro.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete